To many healthcare providers, the thought of transferring from a paper-based records system to an electronic one is daunting. If you have already implemented an EHR, it can be confusing to figure out what it takes to achieve Meaningful Use and to receive the available incentive payments.
Through a grant, RI REC has funding available for a limited time to assist 1,000 Rhode Island priority primary care providers, achieve Meaningful Use. Rhode Island providers are in a prime position to receive federal EHR incentive payments—and additional subsidies from the EHR Adoption Program. RI REC’s Relationship Managers, the Vendor Marketplace of pre-qualified EHR software vendors and technical service consultants, and other free services are now available to help. Services are described in the following paragraphs.
You become an EHR Adoption Program member after you enroll. We know there are services you need to take you from where your practice is now to achieving meaningful use of an EHR. The EHR Adoption Program offers subsidy payments for obtaining a Readiness Assessment, as well as one when you reach meaningful use. The subsidies are available as follows:
- If you do not have an EHR, you will receive a subsidy of $1,500 for each provider (up to a maximum of 10 per practice site) when you complete a Readiness Assessment with a consultant from our Vendor Marketplace, and an additional $1,000 for each provider when you achieve meaningful use.
- If you already have an EHR, you will receive $2,500 for each provider (up to 10) when you achieve meaningful use.
Dedicated Relationship Manager
Any large-scale changes to a workflow system involve challenges and obstacles. To help navigate the process of adopting and implementing an EHR system, each Provider Member practice is assigned a Relationship Manager (RM). Your non-biased, vendor-neutral RM has the health IT experience needed to assist and guide you with decision-making and project management and coordinate the services you need.
After you enroll, your RM can help you obtain a Readiness Assessment, assist with selection of EHR software vendors, technical service consultants, and health information service providers; provide information about financial help and incentive programs; oversee your relationships with vendors; and resolve common issues in the EHR adoption and implementation processes. Your RM can help you network with RI providers who have successfully implemented an EHR, advise you of educational opportunities, and answer questions about meaningful use.
Cost/Benefit Analysis Calculator
The REC has created an electronic calculator tool specific to RI healthcare providers to better assess the value and impact of an EHR on your practice. Your RM can send this tool to you and explain how to use it.
This calculator helps you to determine the actual costs of an EHR adoption and implementation, as well as the benefits (incentives, meaningful use, receivables and volume-based revenue). To do this, we apply the fixed costs and the financial incentives available to you and combine these figures with your practice’s unique data for costs and benefits.
Pre-Qualified Vendor Marketplace
The REC has created a marketplace of pre-qualified EHR software vendors, technical service consultants, and health information service providers to ease the EHR selection and implementation process, minimize disruption to your practice, and promote transparency in pricing and interface development. The marketplace is a structured way for you to assess vendor options, make cost and functionality comparisons, and simplify the decision-making process.
- REC Marketplace Vendors have the experience to help you save time, avoid common missteps and minimize the difficulties in achieving real value from your EHR. Vendors were evaluated and chosen based on business stability, strategy to meet meaningful use objectives, experience in the RI EHR market and in-depth assessments of their services. REC relationships with the RI healthcare community have allowed us to negotiate discounts with vendors on pricing, contracting, and service level and agreement criteria.
- The REC Marketplace allows you to easily review and compare your product options to determine the EHR system and technical services that are the best fit for your practice. You can review profiles of our selected vendors and compare their services. Choosing the vendors that are right for your practice in the beginning can help you avoid unnecessary problems and can facilitate meeting meaningful use objectives.
- Your RM helps you use Vendor Marketplace services to develop a comprehensive, easy-to-understand implementation plan to ensure full adoption and meaningful use achievement, while reducing your practice's administrative burden, accountability and risk.
- New: As of May 2011, the Vendor Marketplace includes HISPs that support Direct Messaging.
REC’s interactive website was launched in 2009 as an online community and knowledge center for physicians to find and share information regarding EHRs and health IT. It is now the home of RI REC and the EHR Adoption Program and provides members-only resources, including access to our Vendor Marketplace and educational opportunities. The site’s interactive forums, peer-to-peer discussions and Q&A sessions promote a smoother path toward EHR adoption and meaningful use in Rhode Island and beyond. Join now to become a member of the RI REC, and enroll in our EHR Adoption Program.
Educational Opportunities and Events
EHR Adoption Program Members receive a Welcome packet and can take advantage of live and Web-based educational activities. Our event calendar also lists opportunities for networking with other local EHR adopters.
The REC hosted a second Health IT Expo in May 2011. The fair provided an opportunity for providers to speak with vendors, hear from early EHR adopters, and try out EHR software. RI REC hosts these fairs at least once each year.
As one of the 62 REC organizations in the country, we receive continually updated information about EHR technology and certification and have frequent meetings with local Medicaid professionals. As soon as we receive information valuable to RI providers, we post it on this Web site. We are developing educational materials for you and your staff that explain REC services and topics related to EHRs. Please contact us for additional information.